Thursday, April 18, 2013

PARASITOS

P is for parasitos or you guessed it--parasites!


This is my lab result from this morning showing that yes, I have parasites.  Specifically, amoebic cysts. And my treatment!

Unfortunately, parasites are a fact of life in Nicaragua.  Even if we drink only purified water and cleanse all our fruits and veggies as we're supposed to, at some point, we WILL have parasites.  When my sister was here, she got them through an open blister on her foot that dust got into.  Other people have gotten them from biting their nails.  So, really if you were to visit here, it's more a matter of when than if you get parasites.

Thankfully, the treatment is easy and cheap.  Yesterday, I took a stool sample to our local Laboratorio Xalteva and for 160 cordobas ($6.43) they tested me for infection and parasites.  I got the results in half an hour.  This morning I took the results to a free clinic where the doctor gave me a prescription for treatment.  The three day treatment cost me about $25.  Not bad, huh?  Hopefully, by the start of next week I can stop being the hostess with the mostest.

No comments:

Post a Comment